Monday 16 November 2020

Top Ten Teacher Traits!

Aaaand the Seniors have officially left for study leave! Even with an extra two weeks with them, that time has passed so quickly! Before they left, I asked students, as well as a couple of colleagues if they would like to give me some feedback on my teaching this year. Across the comments, there were 10 themes that came out. These are in no particular order. 

Enthusiastic, Energetic, Positive Vibes
I certainly give my best to keep positive during my lessons, as the students clearly feed off the energy I give (or lack!). I often find myself quite mentally exhausted from the acting that may be needed, especially on those not so great days. I do think I have become much better at expressing to my students when it's not a great time though, once those relationships have been established.

Critical Thinker
When I was growing up, like many young people, I always wanted to know the why, and wanted to challenge people's ideas and understandings of the world. I'm glad that this was picked up from a few students, that I'm trying to bring this criticality into my teaching. I want students become more aware of different perspectives, so they become more assertive but also more open-minded towards others' thinking.

Goes The Extra Mile
Well, don't all teachers? The kids definitely recognise if you go above and beyond, or if you rinse and repeat!

Constructive Feedback
I was pleased to see this come up frequently throughout the comments, as I have been trying to develop the skill of giving feedback (both written and verbal). I definitely learnt a lot through the Assessment Essentials Course, but also have gathered confidence in my ability to give feedback due to more experience. Having regular checkpoints, including 15 minute 1:1 chats, has been really helpful for me to monitor student progress, as well as adapt future lessons to support their learning. 

Prioritises Wellbeing
Goes without saying really. Hāuora comes first. If their whare is about to collapse, there's no way they are going to learn!

Holds Students Accountable
From meeting deadlines, to following school rules to completing what the work they said they would - there were lots of comments around accountability and the use of time. I found it interesting how many found this positive for their learning and personal growth. To be honest, it really grinds my gears when teachers don't follow through with their word or the expectations that were set as a team/department... but I can only control what I can control!

High Expectations 
I genuinely want the students to achieve to the best of their ability, always teaching to an Excellence level. I've reflected multiple times around the value of high expectations in the classroom, and it's nice to hear the students recognise this.

Long Term Planning
Thinking back to the 'why' I previously mentioned, each lesson I ask myself why are we doing this activity, why am I using this resource and why am I structuring the lesson this way? This helps to increase understanding for myself that I can share with the students around the bigger picture of the learning. Not only right now, but also where we are heading next and how these skills/knowledge are useful long term. 

Positive Relationships
Need I say more?

Push Students out of Comfort Zone
Despite having a Senior Health class with majority of the students having high social anxiety, I really encouraged the students to step out of their comfort zone. We discussed several times the importance of getting comfortable with the uncomfortable. The importance of trying new things, taking small risks, especially talking with and in front of others. I hope to reflect a little more about anxiety in general, in a future post. 

So there you have it, Dougherty's top ten teacher traits according to my colleagues and students!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! :)