Thursday 30 June 2022

Student Feedback: Straight From The Source

Because Marryatville courses are currently only one semester long (aside from Y12s), this means that we are about to have a change in timetable with a bunch of new classes. I know that I will be keeping my 12Health and getting a new 9OUED, otherwise I'm not sure! Nevertheless, I thought that this was a good opportunity to get some feedback on the courses and my teaching in general, to help shape next semester. Unfortunately, time has raced away from me so I didn't get as much feedback or as detailed responses as I would have liked, but anything is better than nothing, right?! I am a little gutted though, that there wasn't much for me to analyse.

However, to keep the surveys simple for the kids I asked then to rank each topic from 1 to 5 related to their engagement and enjoyment, and then justify their response. Unsurprisingly, there were lots of different opinions because students clearly have different interests. What did surprise me though (positively) was a greater interest (generally) in the Health units. Historically, many students see Health as a 'theory lesson' and a lesson they would prefer to be 'doing PE'. I am very honest that I believe this directly stems from the language that teachers use and how they refer to the subjects. I have always been frustrated when the words theory and practical are used, as these insinuate to students that learning only occurs when in the classroom. This language has been used in both schools I've taught in Adelaide and I loathe it! So, to get some more positive feedback about engagement and learning in Health topics, was a great surprise! 

Please see below some of the key themes that were present throughout the feedback I gained from students (Year 7-Year 12). I have briefly reflected on most of these themes and what they may mean moving forward. Here's to the next semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! :)