Monday 12 September 2016

Chaos Needing Organised

This afternoon I don't know what was going on, but I felt as if my class was a right disgrace. I was counting down the minutes until it was over! Usually I only teach my SOS class on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and Dot teaches them on Mondays without me. But, Dot is away this week so I offered to take them to not disrupt the flow of learning by having a reliever.

The Monday-itis other teachers often talk about became apparent very quickly! I don't know what it was but they were bouncing off the walls, crazy loud and ignoring many of my instructions. I don't think they were disrespecting me, they were just in weird headspaces and distracting and disrupting others, feeding off one another.

I left feeling a little lost as to what was going on, what went wrong and what needed to change in prep for future lessons. I went straight to the gym and sweated out my frustrations with how the lesson went. After reflecting a little I wondered what I was doing or not doing during the class. I have been trying hard recently to not blame the kids for bad behaviour, or lack of engagement in class, because at the end of the day it must be down to my instructions and/or classroom management.

Our PTC agenda after school was timely; classroom management. We had lots of discussion around planning for management, having a clear understanding of the school management model and having support people when you are really in trouble. One key thing I took away from the meeting was setting clear expectations at the beginning of the year, and sticking to them. For instance if headphones is a no no for someone in Term 1, headphones are a no no for everyone the whole year - this may reduce any "But Miss you said..." replies from students. 

I feel as if classroom management was something we never really discussed, experimented or explored during uni, it was something I was thrown into at the start of the year. Learning on the job so to speak. I do feel I have come a long way since the beginning of the year, but still have considerable room for improvement still!

Some simple management styles/techniques I have developed include; waiting for silence as opposed to talking over the students, relating to my high expectations of students often (especially when they aren't fulfilling these expectations), using countdowns with my fingers or my voice and saying "I will only give these instructions once". Although these techniques are not gold, and don't work all the time, they are things I come back to. I am open to any and all tips!

2 comments:

  1. Sheesh, sounds like a rough afternoon! It says a lot about you that you are actively trying not to blame the kids for their behaviour, the hard question then falls to us as teachers. Proud of you! Those sound like some good behaviour management strategies - do you have any to use at a whole school level, such as giving out house points? We have introduced that in the senior syndicate and the kids LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder why they aren't listening and straight away try to rewind my thinking and reconsider what I am possibly doing (or not) to discourage the students from listening. Sooo hard to do but I think it's important. Obviously sometimes they may be having an off day and take it out on us, but as long as we are aware of what we are or aren't doing in the class and are certain we are doing the best we can do! We have strategies for positive behaviour yep, like tuck shop vouchers and RISE postcards home - and we have a behaviour management flowchart to follow but really the in class management is down to us! Having co-teachers has been useful to determine what I do and don't want to do though

      Delete

Thank you for your feedback! :)